We are delighted that you are considering partnering with Arms Wide Adoption Services to foster or adopt one – or more children that need a loving adoptive family. The adoption process involves research, counseling and careful consideration related to what is involved when adopting a child who needs a little extra attention. You must possess compassion and an understanding heart to be an adoptive parent. But adoption doesn’t have to be overwhelming – our Greater Houston and South Texas teams are here to help you navigate the process!
Interested in taking the first step? Contact us to be connected with a family coordinator who will walk you through the process of fostering or adopting a child or children in foster care.
Attending an Information Meeting is the first required step in the process towards becoming a foster or adoptive parent.
Given at an Information Meeting, the application is the next required step before making the life-changing decision to become a foster or adoptive parent.
All families in Texas who wish to adopt from foster care must complete a specific training curriculum as part of the licensing process.
Below are some of the requirements involved in adopting through Arms Wide:
- You may be single or married, but if you are married you must have been married for at least two years. If divorced, you must have been divorced for at least two years.
- You must be 21 years of age or older.
- You must be a citizen or legal resident of the U.S. – this includes all household members.
- In order to be eligible for services through our Houston office, prospective parents must live in one of the following counties: Austin, Brazoria, Chambers, Colorado, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Matagorda, Montgomery, Walker, Waller, and Wharton.
- In order to be eligible for services through our South Texas office, prospective parents must live in one of the following counties: Aransas, Bee, Brooks, Cameron, Duval, Hidalgo, Jim Hogg, Jim Wells, Kenedy, Kleberg, Live Oak, McMullen, Nueces, Refugio, San Patricio, Starr, Webb, Willacy, and Zapata
In addition to the basic eligibility requirements listed above, potential families can also expect the following:
- Must have criminal background checks and child abuse checks, including FBI Fingerprint checks completed.
- Must have proof of income, insurance and other information.
- Must attend an informal Information Meeting.
- Must have completed an application
- Must attend and complete Arms Wide pre-service training classes.
- Must complete the Home Study
- After the Home Study has been completed and approved, the matching process will begin.
The first step in the adoption process is attending an Information Meeting.
If you are interested in starting your adoption journey, please contact Arms Wide Adoption Services today. Our Houston office can be reached by calling 713-681-6991 and our South Texas office can be reached by calling 361-850-8200. Arms Wide can also be reached toll-free at 1-800-460-6298. We can’t wait to hear from you!