We are delighted that you are considering partnering with Arms Wide Adoption Services to foster or adopt one – or more – children that need a loving family. The adoption process involves research, counseling and careful consideration related to what is involved when adopting a child who needs a little extra attention. You must possess compassion and an understanding heart to be an adoptive parent. But adoption doesn’t have to be overwhelming – we are here to help you navigate the process!
Interested in taking the first step? Take the Arms Wide questionnaire to learn more about our process. The questionnaire serves as a tool to help you and Arms Wide determine if our agency is the right fit for your family.
Is Arms Wide Adoption Services the right organization to work with in order to fulfill your family through adoption? While the questionnaire is not a required step, we hope you will consider filling it out.
During an Information Meeting, we will walk you through the process of fostering or adopting a child or children in foster care.
Part of the information you will receive during the Information Meeting includes an application, which all potential foster or adoptive parents must submit as one of the first steps towards welcoming a child into your heart and home.
All families in Texas who wish to adopt from foster care must complete specific training curriculum as part of the licensing process.
Below are some of the requirements involved in adopting through Arms Wide:
- You may be single or married, but if you are married you must have been married for at least two years. If divorced, you must have been divorced for at least two years.
- You must be 21 years of age or older.
- You must be a citizen or legal resident of the U.S. – this includes all household members.
- In order to be eligible for services through our Houston office, prospective parents must live in one of the following counties: Austin, Brazoria, Chambers, Colorado, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Matagorda, Montgomery, Walker, Waller or Wharton.
- In order to be eligible for services through our South Texas office, prospective parents must live in one of the following counties: Aransas, Bee, Brooks, Cameron, Duval, Hidalgo, Jim Hogg, Jim Wells, Kenedy, Kleberg, Live Oak, McMullen, Nueces, Refugio, San Patricio, Starr, Webb, Willacy and Zapata
In addition to the basic eligibility requirements listed above, potential families can also expect the following:
- Must have criminal background checks and child abuse checks, including FBI Fingerprint checks completed.
- Must have proof of income, insurance and other information.
- Must attend an informal Information Meeting.
- Must have completed an application packet.
- Must attend and complete Arms Wide pre-service training classes.
- Must complete the Home Study process.
- After the Home Study has been completed and approved, the matching process will begin.
The first step in the adoption process is attending an Information Meeting.
If you are interested in starting your adoption journey, please contact Arms Wide Adoption Services today. Our Houston office can be reached by calling 713-681-6991 and our South Texas office can be reached by calling 361-850-8200. Arms Wide can also be reached toll-free at 1-800-460-6298. We can’t wait to hear from you!