The Time is Now to Prevent Child Abuse
Child abuse can last a lifetime, because the effects of trauma can linger well past childhood. But it doesn’t have to be that way! Now is the time to prevent child abuse to protect tomorrow for our most vulnerable children. If the community stands up for children and provides paths toward healing from abuse, children can reclaim the life they deserve. April is Child Abuse Prevention Month, so in this blog, we share the state of abuse and neglect in Texas, risk of negative outcomes, and how the community can help children at risk.
Child abuse and neglect is prevalent in Texas
Unfortunately, in Texas, 184 children are victims of abuse or neglect every day—and more than seven children suffer from maltreatment every hour—according to TexProtects. Most children who are victims of abuse or neglect spend time in the foster care system.
Effects of trauma have long-term consequences
The effects of child abuse and neglect impact a child’s life dramatically. If the impact of trauma isn’t dealt with, victims could face a lifetime of negative outcomes, according to TexProtects. Children, teenagers and adults are at risk for being:
- 50% more likely to face learning disorders requiring special education
- 50% more likely to have school related problems
- 66% more likely to become involved with drugs or alcohol
- 40% more likely to become pregnant as a teenager
- 25% more likely to drop out of school
- 70% more likely to be arrested for a violent crime
- 30% of abused and neglected children will later abuse their own children
- More than 4 times increased risk of cancer, heart disease, stroke and diabetes due to high-risk coping behaviors
You can help prevent child abuse now to protect their tomorrow
How can you help? Throughout Child Abuse Prevention Month, here are some ways you can help prevent child abuse by breaking the cycle of abuse and neglect.
- Wear Blue on April 8 for Go Blue Day!
- Participate in Blue Sunday with your faith community on April 24. Connect with us for Blue Sunday: We would love to come to your congregation or provide materials to show how you can help children in need.
- Donate to Arms Wide to support our mission of transforming lives of children in foster care in need of safe, nurturing permanent families
- Foster a child or sibling group in need of a safe family and be their advocate to help them heal from abuse or neglect
Arms Wide Adoption Services provides no-fee foster care, adoption, post adoption and post permanency services to children who have been victims of abuse or neglect. Contact us to learn more about how you can transform a child’s life through foster care or foster care adoption.